Thursday, December 1, 2011

Living in Poverty


There are two basic versions of the federal poverty extent: the poverty thresholds (which is the main kind) and the poverty guidelines. The Census Bureau issues the poverty thresholds, which are generally used for statistical purposes—example, to estimate the number of people in poverty nationwide each year and classify them by type of residence, race, and other social, economic, and demographic characteristics. The Department of Health and Human Services issues the poverty guidelines for administrative purposes—for instance, to determine whether a person or family is eligible for assistance through various federal programs.


When the Johnson administration declared "war on poverty" in 1964, it chose an absolute measure. The "absolute poverty line" is the threshold below which families or individuals are considered to be lacking the resources to meet the basic needs for healthy living; having insufficient income to provide the food, shelter and clothing needed to preserve health.  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_the_United_States)
Nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names. Less than one per cent of what the world spent every year on weapons was needed to put every child into school by the year 2000 and yet it didn’t happen.
1 billion children live in poverty (1 in 2 children in the world). 640 million live without adequate shelter, 400 million have no access to safe water, and 270 million have no access to health services. 10.6 million Died in 2003 before they reached the age of 5 (or roughly 29,000 children per day).
           
The Department of Agriculture found that families of three or more persons spent about one third of their after-tax income on food. For these families, poverty thresholds were set at three times the cost of the economy food plan. Different procedures were used for calculating poverty thresholds for two-person households and persons living alone. Annual updates of the SSA poverty thresholds were based on price changes in the economy food plan. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_the_United_States)

9 comments:

  1. I like how you began your blog by first introducing these terms and what they mean, and then went on to explain the poverty in the US with added statistics.
    It is unbelievably sad how the government spent all that money on weapons rather than getting children into school! Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very informative post. I didn't know there was Half of the kids in this world in poverty, it makes me very thankful. I think you should wrote a bit on what you think of this situation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the background information provided and I agree with Andree. I would like to know your opinion on this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's upsetting that so many kids live without basic necessities like a home. So many of them live without families. I love your post Austin, it makes me so grateful for the things that I have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woa your blog was very informative. The pic was kinda sad. But amazing blog I like how you went deep when explaining poverty

    ReplyDelete
  6. First of all that picture is so sad! Not knowing that so much kids suffer, it makes me feel thankful that I have parents that can support me. I like your information provided.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, what a sad picture. Kids in poverty makes me sad, and also thankful. I like how you added statistics... I like statistics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kids in poverty is an issue that just keeps growing and growing because of our irresponsibility. We need to step up !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know there were two types of poverty! And I completely agree with Gadiel!

    ReplyDelete